Orange Leader – anyone who influences anyone to influence the next generation.
It’s just a phase, so don’t miss it.
Phase: a timeframe in a kid’s life when you can leverage distinctive opportunities to influence their future.
Most of us work with the parenting tools that our parents left for us, even though those tools didn’t work on us.
Reasons we miss the phases
- We don’t see what we don’t see. (Invisible questions)
- We don’t remember what we don’t remember.
Every phase has a very unique crisis. (My response matters)
- Preschool – Birth: Am I safe?
- Elementary – Comparison: Do I have what it takes?
- Middle School – Puberty: Who do I like? (whoever like me)
- High School – Freedom: Why should I believe (you)?
Every kid is made in the image of God.
- Every kid has a divine capacity to
- reason, improve, and lead
- to care, relate, and trust
- to believe, to imagine…even to love
- “I want you to treat kids like you would treat me.” – Jesus
- Don’t expect kids to follow Jesus until you treat them like they are made in the image of God.
One Word Job Descriptions:
Preschool – Embrace
Elementary – Engage
Middle School – Affirm (The most important thing you can do in the unpredictable world of a middle schooler is be predictable.)
High School – Mobilize
“I direct deposit my tithe” t-shirt.
90% of Americans are disengaged at work – Gallup
When you work with kids you change the future.
The 1 foot of space where parents drop off their kids is a magical space. This is where influence lives.
Parents today are the first generation in history to have to teach their children about having a social media footprint.